Monday, November 28, 2011

Technology and Social Interaction


Although it is clear that the technological advancements, that continually seem to be taking place, are extremely beneficial to society as a whole, there is definitely a negative impact on some aspects of a person’s overall social interaction.  From my perspective, I know that I am probably not participating in as many face-to-face conversations as I probably should be; however, in terms of my online gaming experiences, I believe that the current technology has actually made a positive impact.  When it comes to gaming, the new technological advancements have been helpful because it brings together complete strangers, who happen to possess like interests, into a venue that allows similar skill levels to face off against each other.  In addition, I personally find it fun (from time to time) to play a challenging game against a complete stranger, because it generally provides me with an opportunity to challenge my abilities in a new, and often unique, way.  In addition, I find the gaming connection to be a good way to keep in touch with many of my high school friends by signing on to my Xbox live and playing a wide variety of games with them.  Now, even though there are many benefits to online interactions, I feel that I should admit that, for the most part, I believe that online social interactions are definitely negatively impacting the more formal face-to-face interactions that used to exist.  Even though many people benefit from online interactions such as dating web sites, Craigslist, message boards, etc., there are also many people who can provide the world with horror stories about their utilization of these types of sites.  From a business and social standpoint, however, there are a number of individuals who have benefited from the existence of these types of sites; because, not only have these companies created jobs for many people while also adding a vast amount of wealth to Silicon Valley, but they have also improved the ability to connection with individuals who may not be living in your particular area.  What people need to remember, when utilizing these sites, however, is that they should remain cautious at all times.  As with Facebook, and other social media sites, it is important to be careful about not sharing too much personal information.   In addition, since it appears as though many people try to hide their real identity, by creating an alternative person, those individuals who decide to use these types of sites should do so under the assumption that they may not actually be chatting with the person that they think they are. 

2 comments:

  1. I have had a similar discussion with my older relatives about this issue. They feel it is the most disrespectful thing to be using a phone while having a conversation with them. They are not used to having phones around and feel they don't belong near conversations. but times are changing, and it is becoming more socially acceptable to text or have your phone out while you're talking to someone. Not to say they aren't times when it is still inappropriate, just that it is more acceptable than my relatives are used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are many difficulties and disadvantages when it comes to not having face-to-face interaction. Face to face interactions is vital, I think because with face to face interaction, you also learn body language from face to face conversation. I know there are cases in which face-to-face interaction is next to impossible, for example business meetings/ conferences with colleagues across the world. I think programs like Skype, Oovoo, and other video chat programs make conversing easier, but makes face to face conversation become obsolete.

    ReplyDelete